[tlhIngan-Hol] A question on {ngIq}

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Mon Jun 6 10:14:25 PDT 2016

This is my opinion on {ngIq} (so it may be wrong). To me it represents each
single item within a collection of items, with the noun coming after it
describing what is in the collection.

{ngIq naH} - "Each fruit (in a collection of fruit)"
{ngIq naH vIlarghpu' 'ej ghIq naH vIparHa'bogh vISoppu'} - "I sniffed each
fruit, and then I ate the fruit I liked"

{ngIq nuH} - "A single weapon (from a collection of weapons)"
{Hoch jaghpu'lI' HoHmeH ngIq nuH lo'} - "In order to kill all his enemies,
he used each weapon"

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:04 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej tIqDu' lel
> > ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej quvqa'
> > ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej rIn may'
> > In one single move, he removed the hearts,
> > In one single move, he restored his honor,
> > In one single move, the battle was done.
>
> Here I understand the "one single move" translation, over the "one by
> one", because the latter makes no sense.

I see {tonSaw'} as a collection of moves, so Kahless is using each single
move to do the actions.

> nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
> > One by one Molor's scouts return
>
> Why "one by one" and not "a single scout of Molor returned alone" ?

I see this as "alone, each of Molor's scouts returned". There is a
collection of them, but they are doing things individually. Since they came
back alone, they return "one by one".

> > ngIq raQ - 150 QaS
> > outposts cost 150 [forces] each
>
> Why {ngIq raQ}, and not {Hoch raQ} ? Why the {ngIq raQ} is given as
> "each outpost" instead of "a single outpost" ?

Each outpost is a single output from the collection of outposts (houses)
that come with the game, but you can buy more than 1 at a time, so we use
the word "each".

A single candy bar cost $10, so if you have a box of candy bars each bar
will cost $10.

The same goes for the rest of the Monopoly purchases.

> Now, ok ; I can leave with the fact that in the given translations
> "each" and "single", seemingly are used in a random and apparently
> interchangeable way.

Because "each" is a "single" item from the pool of items. The English word
used in the translation is based on whatever makes most sense in the
context. If I only buy 1 outpost, a single outpost costs X, if I put 10
outposts, each outpost costs X.

> But I really do have a problem - a major problem - with the sentences :
>
> > nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
> > One by one Molor's scouts return.
> > ngIq nuv luHoH
> > they killed the warriors one by one.
>
> Is there a rule here I'm missing ? Why, why, why "one by one" and not
> "a single one" ?

Because it's not a single one, it's what each individual in the collection
is doing.

The second line is: "They killed each person (one at a time)." They didn't
the people all at the same time.

> And to repeat my original question :
>
> If I wanted to write :
>
> "We destroyed his birds of prey one by one", then what should I write ?
>
> ngIq toQDujmeyDaj DIQaw'ta' ?
> or
> ngIq toQDujmeyDaj wIQaw'ta' ?
>
> or maybe something else ?

Are there multiple ships that were destroyed, one at time? Then I'd go with:

ngIq toQDujmeyDaj DIQaw'ta' - We destroyed each of his birds of prey (one
at a time, not all together).

qurgh