[tlhIngan Hol] muvchuqmoH. seriously ?

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 08:03:03 PDT 2016

Yes, I think there's nothing wrong with {vIqIp'eghmoH} "I cause him to hit
himself" or {vIqIpchuqmoH} "I cause them to hit each other".

Actually, there is something that might be interesting: We know that
sometimes suffixes (with the exception of rovers) refer just back to the
original verb root, and sometimes refer to the stem (i.e. everything
preceding it). Usually there's no big difference in interpretation,
although we did wonder before about sentences that could not be interpreted
"linearly" (i.e. reading them from right to left). I can't reproduce such
an example now, because my computer with my Klingon sentence collection is
broken (it was something with {-nIS}, where the scope of "must" included
something after the {-nIS}, if I remember right)...

So in a word containing {-'eghmoH}, the order is ambiguous, if all agents
are third person, because we get a zero prefix then. So, {qIp'eghmoH} could
mean 1) "A causes B to hit himself." or 2) "A causes himself to hit B."
With other persons involved this becomes more clear, as it would be
{vIqIp'eghmoH} "I cause him to hit himself." and {jIqIp'eghmoH} "I cause
myself to hit (him)." - actually I believe the latter sentence is strictly
intransitive and doesn't even imply that I hit someone or something (the
verb semantics do, though). So, assuming that {'em} "to vomit" is
transitive (which we don't know, but let's take it as an example), I can
make myself vomit: {jI'em'eghmoH}, but I cannot make myself vomit the
poison I acidentally swallowed: *{tar jI'em'eghmoH}. One might have to say
{tar vI'emmeH jI'em'eghmoH}.

So a verb containing {-chuq} or {-'egh} can be transitive, and a verb
containing {-moH} can be intransitive, depending on if one of the other
suffixes increases or decreases its valency, respectively. The rigid slot
structure of Klingon cloaks the logical order of interpretation, but
context and the verb prefixes usually help.

- André