[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 07:42:57 PDT 2016

On 27 July 2016 at 13:28, De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I don't see the act of cutting grass as either {pe'} or
> {chIp}, but as {yob}. I mean, come on, we have a perfectly good word
> which means to separate the top part of a plant from the part that's
> in the ground.

The goal is a bit different, though - {yob} is more about "acquire",
in the sense that the portion you cut off is the bit you want to keep,
while when you trim the grass, you discard the clippings because the
result you are interested in is the bit that stays in the ground.

That's kind of like using the same word "filter" for your kidneys and
a Brita device - they both do filtering, but only in one of them is
the result the bit you want to keep. (So your Brita could be said to
{yob} the impure water you put in, perhaps, but your kidneys are not
{yob}ing water into your bladder.)

Ph.