[tlhIngan Hol] The book of our good captain

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jul 14 06:23:26 PDT 2016

On 7/14/2016 5:40 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> Are the following correct ?
>
> question word {sentence 1 'e' sentence 2} = acceptable if the result
> is a question, asking about the entire {sentence 1 'e' sentence 2}.
>
> {sentence 1 question word 'e' sentence 2} = acceptable if the result
> is a question, asking about sentence 2.
>
> question word {sentence 1 neH} = acceptable if the result is a
> question, asking about the entire {sentence 1 neH}.
>
> {sentence 1 question word neH} = acceptable if the result is a
> question, asking about the {neH}.
>
> from this entire thread I understand, that there is no problem placing
> a question word anywhere in a SAO, as long as the resulting
> construction functions / is to be interpreted as a question.

The problem is that you're asking about things we aren't entirely sure
of. I /think/ sentence 1 can be asking a question, provided the answer
in place of sentence 1 still makes sense in the complex sentence as a whole.

We're also not entirely sure how adverbials and question words work with
*neH* sentences. Our sole example, so far as I know, is Captain Klaa
saying *reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH*/I've always wanted to fight a
federation ship./ Note that he didn't say **DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH,* and
his sentence doesn't mean /I want to always fight federation ships./ It
appears that the *reH* either applies to the wanting and migrated in
front of sentence 1 (as if sentence 1 actually gets put in the object
position itself instead of using *'e'*) or applies to the complex
sentence as a whole (meaning something like /I want to fight a
Federation ship; this is always true/). We just don't know how this
sentence operates, and it's our only example.

So the answer to your question, are your statements correct, is "maybe."