[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dargh HIvje'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 11 07:51:57 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, July 10, 2016
>
> Klingon word: Dargh HIvje'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: teacup

(KGT 96):  Tea ({Dargh}) is another common Klingon beverage. There are many types of tea, some based on vegetable matter, some on animal. The word {Dargh} refers to the beverage only. If plants or animal parts are dried and, if necessary, chopped up before being steeped in boiling water to produce {Dargh}, this preparation is called {Qenvob}. Often, however, there is no {Qenvob}; the tea is made by simply picking thorns, leaves, petals, or seeds off of a plant and immediately immersing them in the water. Usually brackish water ({bIQ na'}) is best. Tea may be made either in a teapot ({runpI'}) or directly in the teacup ({Dargh HIvje'}, or, if not a cup specifically designed for drinking tea, just {HIvje'}).

(KGT 99):  Some drinks are served in special containers, such as the {runpI'} (teapot) used in the making of {Dargh} (tea), and are then poured [{qang}] into the appropriate {HIvje'}.

(KGT 42):  Similarly, the common word for "teacup" is {Dargh HIvje'} (literally, "tea drinking vessel"). Among the upper classes, the word {tu'lum} is used with some frequency, though, strictly speaking, this archaic word used to mean only a cup made of metal.

(KGT 83):  In fact, {vut} can also be used in reference to making a beverage, whether simply mixing ingredients together (such a putting cream in coffee) or starting from scratch (such as brewing ale).

Dargh vIqem je.
I'll bring tea also. CK

vaj Dargh wIb DatlhutlhnIS.  Hoch vor Dargh wIb.
Then you need to drink sour tea. Sour tea cures
 everything. CK

Dargh DaneH'a'
Spot of tea? RTb

SuD Dargh 'ej wov
The tea is {SuD} and light. KGT

SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh
The tea that is {SuD} and light. KGT

Dargh vItlhutlhDI' mutlhej torgh matlh je
I drink tea with Torg and Maltz. (HQ 2.4)
("When I drink tea, Torg and Maltz accompany me.")

Dargh vItlhutlh. mutlhej torgh matlh je
I drink tea with Torg and Maltz. (HQ 2.4)
("I drink tea. Torg and Maltz accompany me.")

Dargh vItlhutlh 'ej mutlhej torgh matlh je
I drink tea with Torg and Maltz. (HQ 2.4)
("I drink tea, and Torg and Maltz accompany me.")

SEE ALSO:
pugh 		dregs (n)
bIQ		water (n)

vut 		prepare food/beverage (v)
pub  		boil (v)
qang  	pour (from one container into another), pour into (v)

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'