[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'urwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 6 07:46:19 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, July 06, 2016
>
> Klingon word: 'urwI'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: traitor

'urwI' HoHmeH ghopDu'Daj neH
  lo'meH qeylIS 'etlhDaj chagh
  tugh Hegh 'e' Sov moratlh
[translation unavailable]  (PB)

Qempa'QeH
  'Iw bIQtIqDaq maleng
  'ej 'urwI'vam wIjey
Qempa'keh, we will travel,
  Up the river of blood
  And bring this traitor down!  (PB)

Qo'noS 'urwI'
  SaqSub 'urwI'
  Seghmaj 'urwI'
Traitor of Kronos,
  Traitor of the Saq'sub,
  Traitor of our race!  (PB, Spoken by Kahless to Molor)

SEE:
maghwI'		traitor (n) [difference from {'urwI'} unknown]

maghwI'Daq jISIq
I point at the traitor with my index finger.
I point out the traitor with my index finger. (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq SIq naQjej
the spear points at the traitor
He/she points at the traitor with his/her spear. (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq SIq naQjejwIj
my spear points at the traitor
I point at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

maghwI'Daq SIqmeH naQjejwIj lo' SuvwI'
the warrior uses my spear to point at the traitor
the warrior points at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

(KGT 157):  compare {maghwI'} "traitor" and {maghwI'na'} "definite traitor, without a doubt a traitor"

bolwI'		traitor (slang) (n)
'urmang 		treason (n)

(KGT 147):  This word [{bolwI'}] actually means "drooler" - that is, "one who drools". The nonslang word meaning traitor is {maghwI'} (literally, "one who betrays)". Probably because of the parallel formation of {bolwI'} and {maghwI'} (that is, verb plus {-wI'}), the verb {bol} (drool) is sometimes used to mean betray, as if it were equivalent to {magh}. In this usage, {bol}, like {magh}, may take an object; that is, the sentence may indicate who is betrayed: {mumaghpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me") or {mubolpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me"; literally, "He/she has drooled me").

'ur  			commit treason (v)
magh  		betray,  act against (v)

<numagh>
[They've betrayed us.] ST6?

ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'
To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron... in order
 to gain power. S26

wo' Damagh 'ej bIHegh
Die betraying the Empire. MKE

qorDu'wIj quvmo' jImaghpu'