[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jul 27 08:10:53 PDT 2016

On 7/27/2016 11:03 AM, Elizabeth Lawrence wrote:
> SuStel, I believe you are making your argument for us.  You are
> clearly explaining <<weq>> as "hitting (something) in the manner in
> which one hits a drum."  We are arguing that <<chIp>> means "cutting
> or trimming (something) in the manner in which one cuts or trims hair."

And what is the difference between cutting one's hair and, say, cutting
a rope? Cutting a banana? Cutting a presentation? Can you *chIp* a *much*?

Sorry, but when Okrand says /hair,/ he means /hair./ When Okrand says
/percussion instrument,/ he means /percussion instrument./ When you slap
your knees rhythmically, your knees ARE a percussion instrument. When
you trim the lawn, the lawn is NOT hair. If Okrand had meant "(e.g.,
hair)" he would have written "(e.g., hair)."

At least until Maltz says otherwise.