[tlhIngan Hol] qI'?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jul 27 08:00:46 PDT 2016

On 7/27/2016 10:56 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 27.07.2016 um 16:46 schrieb SuStel:
>> intended. If I write my name at the bottom of a letter, that is not
>> *qI'.* If the President of the United States writes his or her name at
>> the bottom of a bill, that is *qI'.*
>
> I belong to those people who prefer to stretch the meaning as far as
> possible. So since we do not have the word for "sign a letter" I think
> it's okay to use "sign (a treaty)" for that purpose.
>
> I think this treaty thing is added just to make sure that it's a the
> verb for writing your name on a paper, and not "to make a sign": "He
> signed to her to go away."

I think this treaty thing is added just to make sure that it's the verb
for authorizing an agreement like a treaty, and not "to make a sign" or
"sign one's name."

You see the problem here...

Furthermore, in the /Star Trek/ universe, not all treaties are signed on
paper. ("The treaty, set by subspace radio...")