[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 07:24:25 PDT 2016

jatlh Rhona Fenwick:

I don't see anything wrong with saying someone {qIvDu'Daj weqtaH} "is
drumming on their knees with their palms".

jang SuStel:

In that case, your knees are a percussion instrument. You haven't deviated
from the disambiguator at all--

This first of all assumes the purpose of drumming on knees is to make
music, and second, we don't know Klingons would consider a body part so
used to be instrument. When the voice is spoken of as an instrument, it
bends the usage for effect. But even if the knee slapping is to express
amusement, it's understandably similar to playing a drum.

jatlh SuStel:

It simply does not follow Okrand's pattern to say that hair is only one
kind of thing that you can *chIp.* He wasn't giving one possible example;
he was telling us the sense of the verb. This doesn't prevent you from
using the verb beyond its literal meaning, just as English doesn't prevent
me from saying I'll give the lawn a buzz cut.

There's no evidence in Star Trek of Klingon lawns. Even among humans, it's
something of a local fad. Klingons would probably find lawn-keeping to be
bizarre behavior. In that case, they might well speak metaphorically (and
mockingly) of giving the grass field a haircut.

--

mIp'av yergho
bu''a'

My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/