[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Jul 26 12:30:38 PDT 2016

On 7/26/2016 3:09 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> The Klingon Dictionary defines {chIp} as "cut, trim" and puts (hair)
> in parentheses. I choose to interpret that as meaning "hair" is an
> appropriate object of the verb, and it is probably the default if one
> is not explicitly given, but it is not the only correct object.

I, however, believe it means only cutting hair. When words are put in
parentheses, it means Okrand is disambiguating definitions for us, not
giving us sample objects because he feels like it. *baH* is /fire
(torpedo, rocket, missile)/ to distinguish it from meanings like /fire
(employee)//./*QIq* is /draw, pull out (weapon, tool, instrument)/ to
keep us from thinking it means /draw (as on paper)/ or /pull out
(military forces). /He is even obviously not specifying an object in the
parentheses in a word like *Dan* /occupy (military term).///*chIp* /cut,
trim (hair)/ is doing the same thing, telling us that this refers to
hair-cutting and not other kinds of cutting or trimming.

If this weren't the case, he wouldn't give us parentheses only for the
words that can be ambiguous in English. He doesn't give us, for
instance, *bav* /orbit (planet, nucleus),/ or *ghup* /swallow (down
throat)/ because these English definitions are already unambiguous.*//*