[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' cha'maH wej mu' chu' - New Words

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 23 05:36:51 PDT 2016

ghItlhpu' Jeremy, jatlh:

> Ask if there's a related verb - to grind?

jang loghaD, jatlh:

> pulmoH?

jang je Jeremy, jatlh:

> I think that's valid only if the purpose is to create the ground up particles.

Er, yes. You didn't specify which sense of "to grind" you meant in your first question. The Klingon verb {pulmoH} is not necessarily going to be a one-to-one match with the English verb "to grind".

taH:

> What if you're grinding to make a blade sharp or a rock smooth?

For both of those circumstances I'd be happy to use {tey} "to scrape", following the context discussed for that verb in KGT (p.79). For instance, {tajwIj vIjejmoHmeH naghDaq vItey} "I grind my knife on a stone to sharpen it".

taH loghaD, jatlh:

> There's also {tap}, meaning "mash" or "squash".

jangqa' Jeremy, jatlh:

> Can that also be used for "crush"?

> e.g. jaghpu'lI' Datap

Again, you're running into an issue of sense there. {tap} probably can be used for "crush", but only in the sense of crushing garlic cloves, or grapes for wine, or stones for mineral pigment, or that sort of thing. To "crush" one's enemies is an idiom in English: it doesn't mean you literally take your enemies and physically squash them between two objects, it means you rout them, you conquer them resoundingly, you {jeychu'} them. You may say "I crushed my enemy", and a Klingon may say {jaghwI' vItapta'}, but the likelihood is that they mean something different from what you do, and something far more gruesome.

QeS 'utlh