[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jeS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 20 08:31:02 PDT 2016

Imperative prefixes never appear in the purpose clause itself, but only on the main verb of the sentence.  This makes sense as the function of a purpose clause is to describe or restrict the action of the main verb in some way – just like adverbials do.  I could only find 4 examples of imperative sentences containing a purpose clause:

  jagh DajeymeH nIteb yISuvrup
  To defeat the enemy, be ready to fight alone. PK

  yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ
  To understand life, endure pain. TKW

 HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
  To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

  qa'vam yuQ Quv DaghojmeH Duyma'vaD yIjatlh.
  [To learn the Genesis Planet's coordinates, speak to
   our agent.] (ST3 DVD case, untranslated)

If you really want to put the {-meH}-ed verb into the imperative, you need to rewrite the sentence:  e.g.

  jagh yIjeymeH ‘ej nIteb yISuvrup!

 HIq yISammeH!  tach yI'el!

--
Voragh