[tlhIngan Hol] The unforgivable sin

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Jul 12 08:51:30 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:49 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Qaghna'lIj vIngu'ta': HIvje' yItlhutlhQo'; qa'vIn'e' yItlhutlh!
>
> hmm.. I didn't notice it. So, to say in klingon "I drink two cups of
> coffee" gives the impression that someone is drinking the cups and not
> the coffee ?

I don't know of an example that tells us how to quantify coffee. It
could be the way you said it, {cha' qa'vIn HIvje'} "two coffee's
glasses." Or it could be the other way around, {cha' HIvje' qa'vIn}
"two glasses' coffee". Or it might be {qa'vIn cha' HIvje'} "two
glasses of coffee".

Or it could be that {HIvje'} is only the container and doesn't make
sense as a measurement in Klingon. It's hard to find an English
example that carries that feeling -- maybe "three wrappers of candy".
Perhaps to indicate an amount of drink one must talk of {tlho'ren}
instead, though the correct order of words is still uncertain.

-- ghunchu'wI'