[tlhIngan Hol] How much do you pay for a coffee ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 7 06:52:16 PDT 2016

qunnoq:
> > qa'vIn qachDaq ba' vay' neHlu'chugh vaj motlh 4 *euro*mey nobnIS.

ghunchu'wI':
> >> qa'vIn Hev'a' je DIlwI'?

qunnoq:
> > But I can't understand the {qa'vIn Hev'a' je DIlwI'} ; "coffee he
> > receives (question) and/too the one who pays for" ?

De'vID:
> You clearly do understand it: "Does the payer receive a coffee too?"

(TKD 55):  The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it follows a verb, it means "also, too":
   qaleghpu' je 		I also saw you. I saw you too.
As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous: "I and others saw you" or "I saw you and others". The exact meaning is determined by context.

Some more examples:

Dargh vIqem je
I'll bring tea also. CK

jIghung je
I am also hungry. PK

jI'oj je
I am also thirsty. PK

pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
Glory to you and your house. KGT
("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly.")

Qo'noSDaq boqwI'mey nejmeH je leng qeylIS 'ej chaHvaD lut ja'
Kahless also went out to search for allies across Kronos, and
 told them his tale. PB