[tlhIngan Hol] Five Little Bunnies by Dan Yaccarino (Children's Book)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:46:39 PDT 2016

'arHa':
>>> The first bunny said, "We're here! Let's stop!
>>> {mapawta’! mamevjaj!} jatlh Qa'Hom wa'DIch.

ghunchu'wI':
>> I'm not sure {-jaj} is the right tool for this kind of "Let's do it"
>> meaning. I'd simply say {mamev}, but it could just be a matter of
>> style.

qunnoq:
> As a matter of fact, when I read 'arHa's original post, I thought of
> commenting on this one but I didn't, because I wasn't 100% sure.
>
> ghunchu'wI''s comment verifies my understanding of {-jaj} ; it is to be
> used only in a manner of expressing a wish whether this is a stand-alone
> wish, or it is a wish spoken during a toast.
>
> I don't think {-jaj} can be used in order to express "are we allowed to
> (whatever) or are we able to (whatever)".

Here's a quick dump of what I have in my notes on {-jaj} "may, can, let" (V9: syntactic marker):

jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj
May you scare your enemies! TKD

tlhonchaj chIljaj
May they lose their nostrils! TKD

'IwlIj jachjaj
May your blood scream! TKD

taHjaj boq.
[untranslated] (TKD 173)

maja'chuqjaj?
Can we talk? PK

reH tlhIngan wo' taHjaj
May the Klingon Empire continue forever! PK
(i.e. Long live the Klingon Empire!)

reH tlhInganpu' taHjaj
Klingons forever! PK

bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj
May you encounter Kahless in your dreams! PK

bItuHpa' bIHeghjaj
Death before shame. PK

'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj
May you travel the River of Blood! PK

'oy' DaSIQjaj
May you endure the pain! PK

QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj
May your coordinates be free of tribbles! PK

reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj
May you always find a bloodworm in your glass! PK

jagh lucharghlu'ta'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj
May the bile of the vanquished fill your hands! PK

jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj
May you scare your enemies! PK

bISuvtaHvIS bIHeghjaj
May you die in battle! PK

jaghmeylI' DaghIjjaj, qetjaj jaghmeylI'
May you scare your enemies, may your enemies run). TKW

batlh bIHeghjaj
May you die well! TKW

Dajonlu'pa' bIHeghjaj
May you die before you are captured. TKW

bItuHpa' bIHeghjaj
May you die before you are shamed.  KCD/STK

SoSwI' vavwI' je quvmoHjaj paqvam
[untranslated KGT dedication] KGT

chotwI' DaSamjaj
May you find the murderer. KGT

jejjaj tajlIj
May your knife be sharp. KGT

tajlIj jejjaj
May your knife be sharp. (toast) KGT

wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran
May Gowron continue to lead the empire. KGT (sic!)
[verbs with -jaj don't take Type 7 suffixes]

wo' ghawran DevtaHjaj
May Gowron continue to lead the Empire (toast) KGT

lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov rap, ngoQ rap je
 Danobpu'bogh
May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom, and
 purpose you have given mine. (Frasier)

vaDjaj yaDDu'lIj
may your toes be flexible ("apparently a wish for good fortune,
 or something of the sort.") (HQ 10.2:11)

reH batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH
Let endless battle and honor await them! PB

tayvam tIQ wIlopchoHjaj
Let us commence this ancient rite. PB

yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments. (Sonnet 116)

(TKD 175f):  This suffix is used to express a desire or wish on the part of the speaker that something take place in the future. When it is used, there is never a Type 7 aspect suffix. {-jaj} is often translated with "may" or "let", and it is particularly useful when placing a curse or making a toast.

(KGT 26):  In a divergence from the majority of Klingon dialects, the speakers of Sakrej and No'hvadut ... do not follow this pattern. In these dialects, there is no reforming of the sentences for toasts; the subject always follows the verb. Thus, as toasts, {jejjaj tajlIj} (May your knife be sharp) and {wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran} (May Gowron continue to lead the empire) are perfectly acceptable, even though the verb ending with {-jaj} is not the last thing in the sentence.

(Lieven 12/12/2013):  [Maltz] said he has been asked before about Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. He thought they were silly things to say (and, of course, there are no traditional Klingon ways to say these things), but he said that if you have to say Happy New Year, you could say {DIS chu' yItIv} or {DIS chu' DatIvjaj} or {DIS chu' botIvjaj} or the like. For Merry Christmas, he wasn't so sure. He said that perhaps you could use the name of the holiday (which would be {QISmaS}) and say {QISmaS yItIv} or {QISmaS DatIvjaj} and so on. He thought that people who know about Christmas would understand that.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'