[tlhIngan Hol] muvchuqmoH. seriously ?

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 07:29:05 PDT 2016

It's neither an exception nor something new. I don't think (m)any of us
would be surprised about this sentence. While {-chuq} reduces the valency,
making a transitive verb intransitive, {-moH}, being a causative suffix,
increases the valency by adding another argument. Intransitive verbs become
transitive, and transitive verbs actually remain transitive, but another
oblique argument is added (see the famous example with Worf's sash).

Now, any verb with {-chuq} is by definition intransitive, so adding {-moH}
naturally makes it transitive again, turning the meaning into something
like "S makes O verb each other". I don't recall if I have ever used these
two suffixes together, but their use seems quite natural to me and I
would've formed the sentence the same way.

Schematically:
S verbs. (intransitive, e.g. {'IH})
S verbs O. (transitive, e.g. {legh})
S&S verb each other. (reciprocal, e.g. {leghchuq})
S makes O&O verb each other. (reciprocal+causative, e.g. {leghchuqmoH})

S&S and O&O I just use to show that they must in some way refer to plural
entities.

I don't quite see what's new about it. But perhaps I just always assumed
that it works this way and am thus not surprised about this sentence.

- André