[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 04:44:48 PDT 2016

On 7/26/2016 3:09 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
>> I, however, believe it means only cutting hair.

This contradicts :

>> When words are put in
>> parentheses, it means Okrand is disambiguating definitions for us, not
>> giving us sample objects because he feels like it.

I agree that anything in parenthesis is only to disambuguate. So why
would that be differnt in "trim (hair)" ?

>> (military term). chIp cut, trim (hair) is doing the same thing, telling us
>> that this refers to hair-cutting and not other kinds of cutting or trimming.

What makes you believe that?

When okrand gives clear object, he does not use parenthesis:
{'ep} "consume soup"

> cutting, it's between the sense of trimming that applies to hair and
> the senses that apply to other things (uniforms, sails, etc.).

I would even go further in the use. Many people use {pe'} for cutting
out parts of forwarded messages. I would use {chIp} if I delete the end
of a message.

> I read {chIp} "cut, trim (hair)" to mean "cut" in the second sense.

in the sense of "cut of a part to make it shorter".

> However, I don't see the act of cutting grass as either {pe'} or
> {chIp}, but as {yob}. I mean, come on, we have a perfectly good word
> which means to separate the top part of a plant from the part that's
> in the ground.

Hehe, good idea. But {yob} is done to plants you like to use later, like
to eat. Cutting of grass usually ends in throwing it away. (unless of
course it's grass for feeding animals). Or will you invite us to a
{yobta' yupma'} after cutting the lawn?  ;-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh