[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jul 27 03:57:25 PDT 2016

Am 27.07.2016 um 08:06 schrieb Rhona Fenwick:
> The verb {chIp} does
> not mean "cut hair, trim hair"; it means "cut, trim". [...]

This discussion made me think about the words again, and I noticed the
difference between cut and trim, at least in Klingon. Remember the
phrase {qatlh pe''eghlu'}? It denotes the idea that {pe'} means cut, but
does not always mean that something is cut in two pieces. (although we
have the pe'meH taj, which can separate things). The other word chIp has
the addition "hair" as an example that you do separate something.

BTW, listen to the sound of scissors cutting hair: "chip-chip"  :-)

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh