[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Jul 26 12:09:21 PDT 2016

The Klingon Dictionary defines {chIp} as "cut, trim" and puts (hair)
in parentheses. I choose to interpret that as meaning "hair" is an
appropriate object of the verb, and it is probably the default if one
is not explicitly given, but it is not the only correct object. I
treat it as similar to {baH}, which has a similar parenthetical
explanation of object. Likewise, our new draw/holster verbs were
presented with only (gun, knife) as part of the definition. We know
that's not an exhaustive list of potential objects.

I see {chIp} as a perfect word for describing mowing a lawn, trimming
hedges, pruning trees, and other "maintenance" cutting. On the other
hand, I'm not sure I would use it for shearing sheep, which is more of
a "harvesting" activity, even though it involves literally cutting
hair.

-- ghunchu'wI'