[tlhIngan Hol] lawn mower

Elizabeth Lawrence elizabeth.lawrence08 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:35:26 PDT 2016

No, I would not speak of mowing someone's hair, but I would certainly speak
of trimming the lawn.  <<chIp>> is glossed as "cut, trim (hair)".  When
hair is cut or trimmed, it is shortened for aesthetic effect.  I don't know
that Klingons have the notion of mowing lawns at all, and "Giving the grass
a haircut" is certainly much more descriptive of what is happening than
"Cutting the grass" would be to people who have no tradition of mown
lawns.  In addition, I think that your evidence supports my point: we have
no evidence that Klingons have lawns, and some evidence that they don't.
Therefore, it seems less likely that they would have a specific word for
"mow" and if they did it might refer specifically to the harvesting of
grain grasses rather than lawn maintenance.  I will continue with magh
chIpwI' as the much more evocative phrase.

be''etlh