[tlhIngan Hol] Goat animal

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jul 25 11:04:47 PDT 2016

> The word wasn't invented by Marc Okrand himself, but

> by the author of the novel. I think, however, Okrand

> vetted the new Klingon words in it.

According to the author (Keith R.A. DeCandido), Marc Okrand only vetted the glossary for "Diplomatic Implausibility". The glossary for "Honor Bound" was presumably vetted by 'angghal or somebody else from the KLI.

Source: https://twitter.com/KRADeC/status/91641513691459584

Also, according to DeCandido, the bolmaq is more similar to a hyena than a sheep. I believe I asked this question in connection with the Minecraft translation.

Source: https://twitter.com/KRADeC/status/219789081108946944

There is a creature known to Klingons that is called a "Degebian mountain goat", which is an eight-legged creature native to Degeb IV which incredibly good at climbing. I don't suppose that helps much with translations, however.

The minn'hor is a beast of burden (similar to cattle), the milk of which is used to make cheese.

I wrote a summary of Klingon-related animals I knew of a few years back (which unfortunately I've lost the original file for, so I can't update it without quite some bit of work; I will however make an effort to enter all relevant entries into the Extended Corpus, which I'm sorry to say I've been insufficiently diligent in updating).

Here is the document:

http://people.kth.se/~felixm/Klingon+animals.pdf

I see that I accidentally described the Degebian mountain goat as quadrupetal [sic], which is wrong both in fact and in spelling.