[tlhIngan Hol] New words at the qep'a'

Tad Stauffer tadbot at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 17:10:21 PDT 2016

Some puns that I found (some of these might not be intended by Marc Okrand,
but can still serve as mnemonic devices):

Petal {'uma'} - Petaluma is a town in California

Particle {pay'an} - pions are subatomic particles

Rainbow {Har'ey} - the song 'Over the Rainbow' from the Wizard of Oz was
written by *Har*old Arlen and *E.Y.* Harburg.

and perhaps the most obscure (or far-fetched and unlikely):
Doorknob {jI'ev} -
Visualizing a doorknob, I wondered how this word could contain a pun. The
talking doorknob from Disney's classic 1951 film Alice in Wonderland - of
course! In the same way that 'neSlo' contains the voice actor (Moroni
Olsen) for the magic mirror in Snow White, maybe the voice actor for the
doorknob is hidden in this new word! ... a quick trip to IMDB and the
doorknob is voiced by... Joseph Kearns. Wait, I know that face - Joseph
Kearns played Mr. Wilson in the late '50's Dennis the Menace tv show. And
who played Dennis the Menace against Joseph 'Doorknob' Kearns's Mr. Wilson?
Child actor Jay North! ...and how might the name "Jay North" be
'translated' into Klingon? {jI'ev}!

- Tad

>>> http://www.klingonwiki.net