[tlhIngan Hol] The book of our good captain

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 01:27:07 PDT 2016

On 4 July 2016 at 19:31, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
> On 7/4/2016 9:17 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
>
> p.38 :
>
> {jIDoy'qu'taHvIS jImugh QaQ law' jIghuHqu'taHvIS jImugh QaQ puS}
> I translate better when I am tired than when I'm awake
>
> I like this a lot ; I don't know if it is acceptable, but I like it.
>

> It's not acceptable. The format of a comparative sentence is A Q law' B Q
> puS. A and B must be noun phrases.

The proverb {QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS} suggests the
formula may be somewhat more flexible when it comes to what a "noun
phrase" is, though. A and B can't be verbs or sentences, but it seems
that {V1-taHvIS N1 Q law' V2-taHvIS N2 Q puS} is an acceptable form.
The commentary in TKW only says that {-taH} is missing in the proverb.

--
De'vID