[tlhIngan Hol] Cleaning outdoor dogs ? Seriously ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Jul 10 07:00:46 PDT 2016

On 7/10/2016 5:42 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> On the other hand..
>
> Perhaps, I'm approaching this wrong way ; I'm paying attention to the
> english translation of the words {Dab} and {'el}, without actually
> *feeling* their meaning.
>
> As SuStel pointed out {Dab} means "inhabit" ; the "in/at", at its
> english translation, were put in an effort to provide for the reader a
> better understanding of its meaning.
>
> Similarly the {'el} means "enter" and that's it. The "go in" was added
> in an effort to further explain its meaning.
>
> In dark of the above, then we could indeed understand the {Hatlh
> luDabbogh Ha'DIbaHmey} and the {pa' vI'el}.
>
> Now, as far as the {quSDaq jIba'} is concerned, we can understand why
> we don't use {quSDaq vIba'}, for the simple reason that "I sit on the
> chair" ; I don't "sit the chair".

Now you've got it. It's not important whether the English translation
includes a locative sense; what matters is whether the Klingon has one.
For this, either we have to rely on what Okrand has said about it or
examples he's given us, or we have to infer this from the English
translation.

*ba'* /sit/ does not appear to contain a locative sense, based on both
the English translation and the examples Okrand has given us.

Sometimes the English translation given in the dictionary is not enough
to discern the correct object of a verb, whether locative or not. *qIm*
/pay attention/ is not listed as /pay attention to,/ so for years I
argued that you couldn't say something like *waqwIj vIqImtaH*/I'm paying
attention to my shoes./ Then we got an example of *qIm* with an object
(I think it was *qIrq qun vIqImchoH* from the /Star Trek V/ notes
<http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1999-12-holqed-08-4-b.txt&q=qIm>,
and it showed up on the old MSN word list as /pay attention to/). We
have a similar situation with the popular word *jeS*/participate,/
which, if we were to go only by the English translation, cannot take an
object, but which, if we go by precedent, should be able to take the
event in which you participate as the object. Okrand has never used this
verb in a way that answers this question.