[tlhIngan Hol] Five Little Bunnies by Dan Yaccarino (Children's Book)

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Wed Jul 6 09:50:29 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 1:19 AM, John R. Harness <cartweel at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. The first bunny said, "We're here! Let's stop!
> {mapawta’! mamevjaj!} jatlh Qa'Hom wa'DIch.

I'm not sure {-jaj} is the right tool for this kind of "Let's do it"
meaning. I'd simply say {mamev}, but it could just be a matter of
style.

> 4. The second bunny said, "We can hide a lot. I'll hide some in this flower pot."
> {QIm law' wISo'laH. chorvamDaq 'op vISo' jIH.} jatlh Qa'Hom cha'DIch.

{QIm law'} is plural, so the prefix {DI-} is called for.

I managed to read the Klingon first without interference from the
English, and I thought the second bunny was suggesting that some of
the eggs should be *eaten* in order to hide them in his belly. The
longer regional phrase {chor bargh} for "ceramic pot" might work,
though I would prefer not to extend the meaning of {bargh} beyond a
cooking vessel.

> 6. The fourth bunny said, "Now the fun can start."
> {DaH tughlaH lop.} jatlh Qa'Hom loSDIch.

That's obviously a typo for {taghlaH}.

> 8. The kids found the Easter eggs one by one. The little bunnies said, "Our
> job is done!"
> Hoch QIm nguv Sam puqpu'. {pItlh! rIn Qu'maj,} jatlh Hoch Qa'Hom.

I agree with the suggestion to use {ngIq} instead of {Hoch}. The "one
by one" idea makes it perfect.

Are {ngIq QIm nguv} and {Hoch QIm nuv} singular? The prefix {lu-}
would be called for if so.

> 9. The kids ate the eggs and played all day.
> QImmey yIr puqpu'. jaj naQ reHqu'.

I would interpret the English as meaning "they ate-and-played all day".

> 10. Then the five little bunnies hippity hopped away!
> vaj qetqa' vagh Qa'Hom. mI'qa'! Supqa'!

This meaning of "then" is better carried by the word {ghIq}.

The "away" idea isn't reflected in the Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'