[tlhIngan Hol] Pronominal prefixes compulsory?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Jul 2 14:00:31 PDT 2016

> You can see the subject is a group and the object is a single thing,
> so is the prefix required at all?

Yup. The rule of rom (KGT p.173) requires that prefixes agree with the subject and object.

This is quite similar to English, where the verb must agree with the subject. You can say "She speaks Klingon." and "They speak Klingon.", but not "She speak Klingon." and "They speaks Klingon."

Now, the lu- suffix *is* sometimes dropped by speakers, but this is still considered an error, so it's not something I recommend.

Quick question for the po'wI'pu', if I have a sentence where both subject and
object is explicitly stated, like:

Doch lulegh ghotpu'.

You can see the subject is a group and the object is a single thing, so is the
prefix required at all?

Thanks,
-- mupwI'