[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: De' QulwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 29 12:16:31 PST 2016

In the past we’ve sometimes used {le'} “be special, exceptional” in the for private and {le'be'} “be unexceptional, nonspecific general” for public.  When he was working on voice recognition software for KCD at Dragon Systems, Mark Mandel posted:

(Mark Mandel, [199?]):  Since my office is in a different building from the company reception desk I prefer to give people the number of the fax machine closest to my desk. I put both numbers on the letterhead, labeling them in English “Klingon fax” and “general fax”. Dr. Okrand suggested {le'be'} for “general”, and so of course that's what I used.

  nav HablI' le'be'
  general FAX (vs. a private machine)

See Okrand’s note on this in HolQeD 5.2.  It’s not perfect, but Klingons may not have a concept of – or a word for - privacy; many Earth cultures don’t.

Alternatively, you could just add {qum} “government”, {veng} “city”, {Sep} “region, country”, {wo'} “empire”, etc., at the beginning.

--Voragh

On Behalf Of mayqel qunenoS

{paq nojwI' tum} is public library. but how could we specify/describe a private library ?

qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'