[tlhIngan Hol] to qaStaHvIS or not to qaStaHvIS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 27 11:52:15 PST 2016

I would use {qaStaHvIS DIS law'}since I’m assuming that your phone’s volume has been low *continuously* rather than just occasionally (say when you want to sleep).

Remember the proverb:

  qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
  4,000 throats may be cut in one night by a running man. TKD

This means that the man can accomplish this seemingly impossible task *during* a single night if he’s determined and/or inventive – i.e. if he runs instead of walking or waiting for others to bring his victims to him.  (Normally killing so many people by hand would take much longer.)

For me at least, omitting {qaStaHvIS} “while it continually occurs/happens” turns {wa’ ram} into a simple time-stamp:  i.e. one unspecified night in the past or the present or the future.

--Voragh

On Behalf Of mayqel qunenoS

thank you ca'non master !

however before I sleep, there is a final question I need to ask, in order to verify that I accurately understood this matter.

if I want to say "for many years, I have my phone's sound level set at maximum", then there are two options:

 {DIS law', ghoghwIj HablI'vaD wab 'aqroS patlh vIlo'}
or
 {qaStaHvIS DIS law', ghoghwIj HablI'vaD wab 'aqroS patlh vIlo'}

if I understand correctly what was said so far, then at this example the {qaStaHvIS} is unnecessary, right ? we can use it if we want, but it isn't necessary, right ?
qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'
SuvwI'pu'qoq Hol tughojmoHta'mo' Satlho'