[tlhIngan Hol] How do you explain {'InSong} ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Dec 10 23:42:24 PST 2016

Am 10.12.2016 um 18:29 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
> What I mean is, when appended to a word that end with a
 > consonant, does that consonant stay part of the stem
 > (CVC-oy) or does it "transfer" to the new syllable containing
> -oy (CV-Coy)?

Here we are only concerning the spoken sound I think.

The point is, that if -oy is pronounced separate from the consonant, you
must make a short break, a short stop - hence some kind of a glottal stop.

One cannot say [CVC-oy] without getting [CVC-'oy]
Compare {patoy} [PA-TOY] and {pat'oy} [PAT-OY]

> The va-VOY example - while, as you say, at least one step
 > removed from Okrand's own mouth -

Keep in mind its background, being a mispronunciation of {vavwI'}

> If you call your sweetkins {burghoy}, do you pronounce it
 > bur-GHOY, BUR-ghoy, BURGH-oy or burgh-OY?

When I say that, it's mostly BUR-ghoy. Indeed confirming what you said,
but also because the reson I wrote above in the first line.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh