[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "god damn"

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 09:20:24 PST 2016

I didn't know these info with regards to the {'Igh} ! I thought it
literally meant "to be cursed".
thanks for telling me.

qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'

On 9 Dec 2016 7:11 pm, "Steven Boozer" <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

*{'Igh}*  be cursed,  be jinxed (*slang*) (v)

(KGT 167):  This is a slang term with no known origin. It can be applied to
just about anything--persons, missions, ships, and so on--when everything
seems to be going wrong. Since Klingons consider self-control a great
virtue, declaring oneself to be cursed is comparable to an admission of
weakness and utterly uncharacteristic (though not unknown). To say that
someone else is cursed, on the other hand, is to attribute weakness to that
person. Accordingly, {*bI'Igh} *(“*You are cursed, you are jinxed”*) is
quite insulting. In standard Klingon, the same idea may be expressed by
saying {*Do'Ha'moHlu'} *(“*be made unlucky”* or “*someone/something causes *
[*someone/something*] *to be unlucky”*), as in {*DaDo'Ha'moHlu'} *(“*You've
been made unlucky”*, or “*someone/something causes you to be unlucky*)”.

*{jay'}  *intensely (adv)

(TKD 177):  This word not only intensifies whatever is being said, it turns
the whole phrase into an invective. Alone among the adverbials, {*jay'}*
always comes at the end of the sentence.

*  qaStaH nuq jay'*

  What the #$%@ is happening? TKD

 *mIch 'elpu' jay'*

  They've entered the @#$% sector! TKD

 *SoH 'Iv jay'*

  [*Who the *@#$% * are you*? (untranslated)] ST6

  *qaStaH nuq jay'*

  [*What the *@#$%* is happening*? (untranslated)] ST6

 *ghaytanHa' jay'*

  Not bloody likely! RT

 *tuHbe' tlhInganvam jay' *

  Curse this Klingon, who has no shame! PB

mayqel qunenoS:

> I meant "your mother cooked this god damn food".

Note the second TKD example which *is an exact parallel to your sentence.*

*--Voragh*

*On Behalf Of *nIqolay Q
*Sent:* Friday, December 09, 2016 10:52 AM

{Sojvam vutta' SoSlI' jay'} should suffice to get most of the meaning
across. I'm not sure that {'Igh} quite works here. The description in KGT
suggests it means something like "doesn't work right, prone to failure,
unlucky" and not simply just bad in general.