[tlhIngan Hol] Thoughts on {-moH}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 08:54:22 PST 2016

On 8 December 2016 at 16:35, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
> taj'e', torghvaD matlh nobmoH Qugh
> or
> torghvaD taj'e' matlh nobmoH Qugh
>
> = "As for the knife, Kruge causes Maltz to give for the benefit of Torg"
>
> I still think it works, although I agree it looks very awkward.

Same as how others have commented, I also read this as "As for knives,
Kruge causes Torg to give Maltz (Maltz is given)". It's grammatical,
but unless Maltz is a knife, it makes no sense.

Consider:
{torghvaD nuH'e' betleH nobmoH Qugh}
"As for weapons, Kruge causes Torg to give a bat'leth".

Given a complex sentence like this (say, in the SkyBox cards),
Okrand's style has been to chop it up, like {torghvaD taj nob matlh.
'e' raD [or {qaSmoH} or whatever] Qugh}.

--
De'vID