[tlhIngan Hol] Adverbs with {-qu'}

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Dec 1 23:45:39 PST 2016

Am 02.12.2016 um 08:14 schrieb PICHLMANN Christoph:
> A slighty off-topic question,

AS long as it's about Klingon, it's not off-topic :-)

> We have been told (in TKD, I think? Was it reinforced later, or taken away?) that klingons only use three classes of words:

Well, actually, Okrand has indeed "reinforced" this just one week ago at
the Starbas Indy, where ha gave a lesson about Klingon:
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/StarbaseIndy

> *) nouns
> *) verbs
> *) everything else (the "leftovers")
>
> Is this still correct?

Yes, but you should not think too much about that. It may be true that
Klingons treat them as "anything else" or "leftovers", but that does not
stop us from naming them what they really are, e.g. "adverbials" etc.

> I'm asking because an "adverb" is something I'd like to put in with "verbs", but that is because of the name.

I am not  alinguist, but a verb describes an action (even sometimes
adjectivally) and the adverb describes how the action is done. The
adverb cannot stand on itself, think of the meaning aof ad-verb: it
stands "ad" the "verb".

> Because if an adverb is considered a verb, shouldn't all verb-affixes be allowed?

No, this is a clear situation; an adverb is not a verb, so it cannot
take verb affixes - as far as I comprehend the situation.

SuStel said:
>> Because Okrand has specifically about and used only *-Ha'.* No other
>> suffix has been used or even hinted at.

Note in this case the examples we have for "very fast" or other
intensified adverbials, where we would add {-qu'} like *nomqu'.
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/ComparingAdverbs

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh