[tlhIngan Hol] Tag questions

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Dec 30 06:54:04 PST 2016

Yes, {HIja'} or {HISlaH} would both do the trick nicely, and in most situations would probably sound the most natural.

However, {qar} also makes perfect sense, as the question at play is "Is it accurate?"
...and likewise, {wIparHa'} communicates the answer nicely.

{bIlugh} is a bit questionable, because it depends on whether or not you judge that the person asking the question is actually making a statement. I personally think that'd be an appropriate assessment in most cases where {qar'a'} is used, because the asker is usually requesting confirmation for a perceived truth, but I'd still be a bit cautious about it.

I'm more skeptical about {bIqar}, because I'm not convinced that a *person* can be accurate or inaccurate; they can *think* or *communicate* statements, which may may or may not be accurate. I personally use {qar} or {teH} to refer to statements and {lugh} or {vIt} to refer to people. Canon may show me to be wrong down the line, but so far I think this interpretation has held up.

[This is quite probably a case of native tongue bias; Swedish makes a distinction between statements, which can "be right" ("vara rätt") and people, which can "have right" ("ha rätt"). Whether or not Klingon makes this distinction is up to Marc Okrand.]