[tlhIngan Hol] mutpu' or mutmey ?

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:57:49 PST 2016

Both {qorDu'wI'} and {qorDu'lI'} also appear in the paq'batlh, as well as
{qorDu'wIj}. A difference I notice is that {-wI'} and {-lI'} are used for
the living (or those who can conceivably be rescued from Gre'thor), and
{-wIj} is used for those who are certainly dead, or possibly for speaking
of family in a general way that includes the dead as well as the living.

The capable-of-speech examples:

batlh Hegh qorDu'lI' (from paq'yav Canto 3)

ghe'torDaq lengbe'meH qorDu'wI' vIQan (from paq'yav Canto 12)

In the first of these, Molor's envoy clearly speaks to Morath of his living
kin, since only the living can die.

In the second, Kahless intends to rescue his kin from Gre'thor, so he
hasn't given them up for dead.

The incapable-of-speech examples:

qorDu'wIj quvmo' jImaghpu'
qorDu'wIj quvqa'moHlu'meH
jIvang vIneH (from paq'raD Canto 16)

qotar vImuv qorDu'wIj vImuv (from paq'QIH Canto 2)

In the first example, although Kahless is trying to rescue his family from
Gre'thor, he speaks of "my family" in perhaps a general way ("my family
honor") that could include all of his kin who have ever lived.
In the second, he goes to join his dead relatives.

And nothing to do with canon, but I recently noticed that I instinctively
used {qorDu'wI'} for my own immediate family, perhaps since they are so
obviously capable of speech.

~mIp'av