[tlhIngan Hol] mutpu' or mutmey ?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:13:52 PST 2016

On 29 December 2016 at 16:05, Lawrence M. Schoen <klingonguy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:52 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>

>> *A mut is not a thing capable of using language. Its members are, but it
>> is not. It is an abstraction.*
>>
> I see your point, but I respectfully disagree. Metaphorically, we treat
> groups as possessing the attributes of language users all the time.

In English. Do we do that in Klingon?

>  The Borg Collective express outrage at latest Star Trek film.
>
> Barbers Union presses for more Bolians in new Trek series.
>
> Readers of Schoen's fiction ask if elephants can really talk.
>
> Translate any of the above or similar statements into Klingon and the
> group is clearly understood to be made up of language users and no one
> would blink twice at the figurative use of extending that attribute to the
> group.

In the case of something like "readers", they're clearly {laDwI'pu'} and
it's not just metaphorical. They're literally beings capable of language.

But for words like {DIvI'} or {tuq} or {mut}, the plural should clearly use
{-mey}, even if they're collections of things which are capable of
language.

--
De'vID