[tlhIngan Hol] Adjective suffixes

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 13 06:32:34 PST 2016

On 12/13/2016 3:46 AM, André Müller wrote:
> Somewhere (TKD I suppose) it's written that the only suffixes
> following a verb used as an adjective can be the negation suffixes
> {-be', -Ha'} and the intensifier {-qu'}. I think it's logical that
> both can occur together. So I have no doubts that you can say {Duj
> tInqu'be'} with the intended meaning.
>
> But other suffixes are excluded, do the answer to question 2 is no. It
> is easily understood, but ungrammatical.

/TKD/ only describes using *-qu'* in this way. Further canonical
examples have shown us *-be'* and *-Ha'.* None has ever shown us
multiple suffixes, though I would have no problem accepting *Duj
tInqu'be'* for /not very big ship./

Although we have never seen any other verb suffixes, I would not at all
be surprised to discover that type 6 verb suffixes are allowed, as in
mayqel's **Duj tInba'*/obviously big ship/ or **Duj Dojbej*/certainly
impressive ship/ or **Duj HoSghajchu'*/all-powerful ship/ or **Duj
pujlaw'*/apparently weak ship./ But until such time as Okrand does this,
these suffixes are off-limits.