[tlhIngan Hol] Is the {telDaq wovmoHwI'} legal ?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sun Dec 4 08:44:57 PST 2016

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 8:29 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the BoP poster we have {telDaq wovmoHwI'} for "wing light".
>
> Doesn't this violate the rule that in a noun-noun construction only the
> last can have type-5 suffixes ?

It does, if you consider {telDaq} to have a Type 5 noun suffix.

It does not, if you consider it to be a compound {tel} "wing" + {Daq}
"location", making the phrase "wing-location brightener".

Some people try to convince themselves that it isn't a noun-noun
construction in the first place, and the rule thus does not apply, but that
seems unsupportable to me.

-- ghunchu'wI'