[tlhIngan Hol] {-rup} or {-beH} ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Dec 31 01:09:16 PST 2016

Am 29.12.2016 um 14:34 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> I think that since bone is something alive, and since usually it "warns"
> you that it is ready to break (through pain), then the {-rup} is more
> appropriate than {-beH}.

You should know best that a bone is NOT alive, at least not in the sense
that it may "warn" conciously. It doe not say "Hey look!". When it
breaks, there a chemical reaction and pressure on some kind of nerve
sending pulses to your brain. We interpret it as a "warning", but there
nobody intentionally warning you.

My construction professor always told me it's nonsense to say that "the
house is breathing". You need lungs to breathe.

Am 29.12.2016 um 14:26 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
 > nagh 'ughqu' 'uchmo' ghorrup 'uSDaq.
 > because he was holding a very heavy rock his leg was ready to break.

A suggestion:
-> because he was holding a very heavy rock his leg was GOING to break.
{nagh 'ughqu' 'uchmo' ghorchoH 'uSDaj.}

When you say the bone is ready, I see a bone with a smilying face on it,
waving with a hand saying "Okay, let's do this - I'm ready!"

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh