[tlhIngan Hol] mutpu' or mutmey ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 29 07:13:20 PST 2016

qunnoH, look at other words for groups of people and how possessive suffixes (WRT capability of using language) are used with them:

qorDu'wIj quvmo' jImaghpu' qorDu'wIj quvqa'moHlu'meH jIvang vIneH
The reason of my betrayal was my family honor, I want to restore this honor. (PB)

  NB:  {qorDu'wIj} not *{qorDu'wI'} - both times.

pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
Glory to you and your house.
("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly.") KGT

  NB:  {tuqlIj} not *{tuqlI'}.

Qo'noS tuqmey muvchuqmoH qeylIS
Kahless united the tribes of Kronos (PB)

  NB:  {tuqmey} not *{tuqpu'}.

qeylIS loDnI' 'opleS chovan tuqmaj vIDevmo'
One day, brother Kahless, you will bow before me as leader of our house. PB

  NB:  {tuqmaj} not *{tuqma'}.

jaghpu'ra' bopujmoHtaHvIS, ghur tuqmeyraj quv.
Honor will rise in your houses as you bring your enemies to their knees. MKE

  NB:  {tuqmeyraj} not *{tuqpu'ra'} -  two such suffixes (a "twofer").

--Voragh