[tlhIngan Hol] be-verbs and the {-wI'}

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Dec 27 18:02:11 PST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 9:47 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering whether the addition of the {-wI'} on be-verbs, functions
> differently from the way it does on non be-verbs.

{-wI'} works the same, but the *translation* can be subtly different. It's
typically "one who is" for a verb expressing a state or quality, and "one
who does" for a verb expressing a more active concept. It's hard to use the
English suffix "-er" for {-wI'} on a verb of quality like {tIn} "be big",
but it's usually no problem to say something like "sleeper" for {QongwI'}.

-- ghunchu'wI'