[tlhIngan Hol] to qaStaHvIS or not to qaStaHvIS

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Dec 27 11:38:05 PST 2016

On 12/27/2016 2:24 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

> if I want to say "for many years, I have my phone's sound level set at
> maximum", then there are two options:
>
> {DIS law', ghoghwIj HablI'vaD wab 'aqroS patlh vIlo'}
> or
> {qaStaHvIS DIS law', ghoghwIj HablI'vaD wab 'aqroS patlh vIlo'}
>
> if I understand correctly what was said so far, then at this example
> the {qaStaHvIS} is unnecessary, right ? we can use it if we want, but
> it isn't necessary, right ?

No. In this case you need the *qaStaHvIS,* because *DIS law'* is only a
time period, not a time stamp. It tells you a duration; it does not
pinpoint a moment.

You could say *ben law' ghogh HablI'wIj 'aqroS wab patlh vIlo'* but that
would mean /many years ago I used my phone's maximum sound level,/ but
that doesn't tell us anything about how long you did this.