[tlhIngan Hol] {-lIvIS}

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 11:06:08 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 12:50 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> indeed..
>
> while I was writing this, I knew that it would come down to "because
> maltz said so". but I just can't see the logic of this rule.

In-universe, this rule is descriptive, and might be stated this way because
of an oversight (that the 23rd century linguist, who also happens to be
named Marc Okrand, either knows that {-lI'} is occasionally used with
{-vIS}, but forgot to mention it, or he hadn't listened to enough Klingon
to discover this exception). Alternatively, the 23rd century linguist might
be stating the rule precisely as he means to, but without further
explanation that he could give, perhaps that he has discovered that
Klingons' use of {-taHvIS} is so ingrained that saying *{-lI'vIS} seems
wrong to them, and perhaps they won't even tolerate an intervening {-neS}
or rover.

~mIp'av