[tlhIngan Hol] ghorgh and nuqDaq next to nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Dec 16 07:00:29 PST 2016

On 12/16/2016 9:36 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

> SuStel:
> > My answer is that in none of these sentences
> > do we see question words as part of a noun-
> > noun construction. In the first two we see an
> > independent time expression* (DaSjaj)* and the
> > question word *ghorgh* each standing alone.
> > In the second two we see a locative
> > noun *(tera'Daq)* and the question
> > word *nuqDaq* each standing alone. There are
> > no noun-noun constructions here.
>
> So, would you accept the {ghorgh} and {nuqDaq} examples which I wrote,
> as being correct ?

    {ghorgh DaSjaj mamej}
    when do we depart on monday ?

    {DaSjaj ghorgh mamej}
    on monday when do we depart

    {nuqDaq tera'Daq mIl'oDmey tu'lu'}
    where on earth someone finds bears ?

    {tera'Daq nuqDaq mIl'oDmey tu'lu'}
    on earth where someone finds bears ?

Tentatively, yes. There's no rule that says locative or temporal phrases
must be unique, that two such phrases can't exist in the same sentence,
but you /are/ following the rule that says locative phrases (and others)
come at the beginning of the sentence.

Understand that this is not an exact science. There are degrees of
confidence in various constructs, and not everyone feels the same about
every example. Sometimes you'll stretch the grammar farther than some
people are willing to go; at these times you need to consider whether
you yourself are confident in the grammar you're using and whether you
could accommodate your listeners with an alternative expression.