[tlhIngan Hol] Ride to Gondor!

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 14 11:59:42 PST 2016

I'm enjoying translating passages from /The Lord of the Rings,/ so I
tried my hand at a bit of poetry. My goal was not simply a
straightforward translation, but rather to maintain the meter and
alliteration of the original while not straying too far from the literal
meaning.

    Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
    Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
    spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

    petagh, petagh, ta' lIghwI'!
    qu' qaStaHbogh chav: qul peq je!
    ghIntaq yuvlu', yoD ghorlu'
    yan jaj, Doq jaj, narghpa' jul!
    lIghchoH, lIghchoH, GondorDaq lIgh!

Translation notes:

/Théoden/ doesn't alliterate with anything in Klingon, so I used *ta'*
instead.

I played a bit fast and loose regarding stressed syllables, since *-lu'*
has a nasty tendency to take over the stress. Just stress the root verbs.

The alliteration in line three was hardest to achieve.