[tlhIngan Hol] Who shall call them from the twilight ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 14 08:47:29 PST 2016

On 12/14/2016 11:17 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

> Andre Müller:
> > I think SuStel's point is: /On screen, no one can/
> /> hear your spaces./
>
> hahaha ! ok, now I understand !

Yes. It /could/ be a new word *HIvHe'* that cannot be decomposed, or it
could be *HIv,* an unattested noun form of the verb, plus *He,* space or
no space.

The movie also gives us *chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq 'e'
vInoH*/Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams./ This sentence is
maddeningly unclear: is *chorghSaD qelI'qam* something akin to a time
stamp? Is *HIvchuq* /attack each other/ or /attack range/ (with the same
unattested noun form of *HIv*)? Is *HIvchuq* a new, irreducible noun?
Why does this sentence no verb? (It's probably clipped, which means
we're trying to figure out grammar from an incomplete sentence.)

*HIv* is a very frustrating word.

> and now, lets talk about something which was discussed earlier in this
> thread..
>
> SuStel:
> > Unknown whether you can use *nuq* or *'Iv* as
> > part of a noun-noun construction.
>
> I'm just asking in order to make sure I understand this correctly.
>
> lets say I want to ask "which ship arrived ?". both {paw'ta' Duj nuq}
> and {paw'ta' nuq Duj} are wrong, right ?

*paw,* not *paw'* (unless the arrival was very rough!).

*nuq* goes into the place of the answer. If the answer isn't the same
sentence with a substitution for *nuq,* then the question is not formed
correctly.

If the answer to the question is, for instance, that the /Enterprise/
arrived, then the answer is *pawta' 'entepray'.* But this isn't in the
same form that you asked it, because it doesn't include the word *Duj.*
So the entire method of asking the question is doubtful.

There /are/ some answers that would fit, like, say, *pawta' DIvI' Duj.*
But not every answer will fit, so you may not be able to ask questions
this way.

In any case, we've never seen Okrand use *nuq* or *'Iv* in a noun-noun
construction like this, so whether or not this is allowed is unknown.

The most common thing to do is turn it into a command to identify:
*paw'ta'bogh Duj yIngu'*/identify the ship that has arrived!/ If you're
not asking for a name, you might get more specific, like *pawta'bogh Duj
Sar yIngu'* /identify the type of ship that has arrived!/