[tlhIngan Hol] How do you explain {'InSong} ?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Dec 10 03:30:29 PST 2016

It's worth stating that I don't believe the rules of Klingon syllable structure have ever been directly stated, but rather this is based on observation.

The majority of all cases can be described as such:

Every syllable begins with a consonant, followed by a vowel.
This may be (and usually is) followed by a consonant, or one of the three permissible terminal consonant clusters: -rgh, -w' or -y'.
No syllable ends on -ow, -ow', -uw or -uw'.

So single syllable options are:

CV - tI Do ta ...
CVC - batlh chuch por ...
CVrgh - 'argh burgh qorgh ...
CVw' - maw'  law' ghaw' ... (interestingly, there don't appear to be any -ew' or -Iw' words)
CVy' - lay' loy' bey' ... (no known -Iy' examples)

After one of these, you are freee tonstart a new syllable, which may also follow any of these forms.

For example:

CVC-CVC - 'InSong, bobcho', lalDan
CV-CVC - lulIgh, qama'
CVC-CV - HaSta, yergho
CV-CV-CVC - verengan
CVC-CV-CVC - Ha'DIbaH

In the event where the forst syllable is simply CV (tera'ngan, lulIgh, bIreQtagh, ...), there may be room for interpretation where one syllable ends and the other ends. Normally, the CV syllable gets "swallowed", so that the two syllables almost sound like one; tera' sounds like "vra" and verengan sounds like "vrengan".

This confusion might also arise when using the -oy suffix. Is this the only syllable that can begin on a vowel? Or does it change the stress pattern of the word it's appended to in such a way that the syllable becomes -Coy? (for example, would jupoy be ju-poy, perhaps just ending up sounding like "jpoy"?)

There are still exceptions to these "rules", such as those seen in non-Klinogn names (qIrq, pIqarD, 'oqranD) and in no' Hol (paq'batlh, tog'det q'uti 'qoolit).

Best wishes,
loghaD (CV-CVC)

10 dec. 2016 kl. 11:27 skrev mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com<mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>>:

lieven:
> '-I-n = C-V-C
> S-o-ng = C-V-C
> Why the confusion?

according to the rule of cvc, how come that after the {n} the {S} follows ? this produces (cvccvc).

the rule refers to clusters of three (cvc-cvc-cvc), or does it go like (cvcvcvcvc..) ? so far I thought that according to this rule, right after a consonant always a vowel follows.

qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'