[tlhIngan Hol] Adverbs with {-qu'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Dec 2 07:48:18 PST 2016

On 12/2/2016 10:22 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> SuStel:
>> The rest of the adverbials modify the sentence
>> by going before the object-verb-subject or law'/puS structure.
> and if you had an adverbial and a noun with a type-5 suffix, which
> would you place first ? I remember discussing this some time ago, and
> no definite consensus existing on the matter.

I would put the adverbial before the syntactic noun, though there's no
absolute rule about it. Okrand has mostly done it this way:

*qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
*/You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy./ (ST5)

*batlh naDev SuDab
*/Welcome to this place (you inhabit here honorably)/ (PB)

*QIt ghaHvaD yIn Hegh je vIghojmoH 'ej 'oy' SIQ ghaH
*/And teach him life and death, the slow and painful way!/ (PB)

*vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
*/(thus humans can continue traveling in space)/ (SkyBox 99)

But he's also done it the other way:

*tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'
*/emblazoned upon the hulls of countless Klingon Starships (it has been
displayed honorably on very many Klingon ships' hulls)/ (SkyBox SP1)