[tlhIngan Hol] Adverbs with {-qu'}

PICHLMANN Christoph Christoph.PICHLMANN at agrana.com
Thu Dec 1 23:14:04 PST 2016

A slighty off-topic question, but it's something I've considered recently and it fits in here:

We have been told (in TKD, I think? Was it reinforced later, or taken away?) that klingons only use three classes of words:

*) nouns
*) verbs
*) everything else (the "leftovers")

Is this still correct?

I'm asking because an "adverb" is something I'd like to put in with "verbs", but that is because of the name. Would klingons see an adverb as a form of verb, or as <<chuvmey>> that simply "looks and acts" as a verb, but doesn't follow all the rules.

Because if an adverb is considered a verb, shouldn't all verb-affixes be allowed?
But if it's a <<chuvmey>>, then it would make more sense to say that as a rule they don't have any affixes, but for this or that word it is known that it may take this or that suffix. They'd simply be special cases, as any language has.
(Also, it would keep things simple, IMO.)

Unfortunately, both Klingonska and <<boQwI'>> only say "adverb" :-(

Christoph