[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hup

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 31 07:20:45 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, August 31, 2016
>
> Klingon word: Hup
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: punish
> Source: TKD

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

SEE SYNONYM:
bIj		punish (v)

  qabIj
  I punish you. KGT

Difference from {Hup} not known.

SEE ALSO:
qIch  	condemn (v)
DIv 		be guilty (v)
chun 		be innocent (v)

bIj 		punishment (n)
jIp 		penalty (n)
Sun 		discipline (n)
Ruv		justice (n)

TREK TRIVIA:

"You'll find there are many rules and regulations. They will be posted. Violation of the smallest of them will be punished by death." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

"You can't turn me over to the Klingons. They don't just imprison you... Do you know what the punishment is for fraud?" (Yranac, [a terrified Yridian who had twelve outstanding arrest warrants for fraud and petty theft in the Klingon Empire] to Riker, TNG "Gambit Pt.I")

Kortar, the ferryman on the mythical Barge of the Dead, destroyed the gods who created him and, as punishment, was condemned to ferry the souls of the dishonored dead over the River of Blood to the gates of Grethor. (VOY "Barge of the Dead")

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'