[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: HolQeD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 4 07:31:39 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, August 04, 2016
>
> Klingon word: HolQeD
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: the KLI journal

(Lawrence, [DATE?]):  Actually, this IS canonical. It is a backfit that Marc Okrand was kind enough to provide (I think in an interview), casually acknowledging that of course this compound meant "language science, or linguistics." And, presumably it does open the door to geology and mathematics and many more.

(Lawrence, 2/2004):  indeed the word {HolQeD} is an example of a made-up word (later canonized by Okrand and creating a precedent for naming other sciences)

SEE:
HuchQeD 		economics
nughQeD 		sociology
porghQeD 		the scientific study of bodily functions
Hov leng QeD 	Treknology

SEE ALSO:
QeD  			science (n)
tej 			scientist (n)
nger 			theory (n)
Sov 			knowledge (n)
De' 			information (n)

Note the pun in {QeD}:  Q.E.D. ("quod erat demonstrandum")

I've often wondered, is there a pun in {Hol} "language"?

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'